Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Monkey's and golden guns at Krabi



Dragged my feet onto the the bus and cursed everything that has to do with football. Sure, Sweden won (of course expected just like the next game) but being so tired I almost wished they hadn't qualified in the first place.
The boat took six hours since it first needed to stop in Koh Pagn Nang before heading to the mainland. Once I got to shore I had another three hours of the bus to look forward to.
One thing that amazes me about the Thai travelling system is that despite of how many times you need to change transportation they still get you there somehow. There aren't any computers or any kinds of visible records, instead you just get a sticker on your chest of various colour and off you go. It is pretty amazing.
Finally in Krabi town I was greeted by the usual patrol of people trying to get you to their hotel and this time I was so tired that I decied to go for it and it turned out great. Got a nice room with TV for less that 3 dollars.
My plan was to depart the following morning for Koh Phi Phi but after reading the tourist leaflets and the guidebook (which recommended the nature resorts and the island at the coast) I put my money on the James Bond island as it was called on the brochure and a trip to the nature resort and the monkey temple. I still haven't found out what the actual island is called but it's in the closing scene of "Man with the golden gun".
Despite being dead tired I still managed to eat some food and watch some football before heading to bead.
Woke up in anticipation, considered wearing my black tux for an effective entry on the Bond island but went for T-shirt and shorts instead. Had a quick breakfast before the van turned up to get me. Drove around some of Krabi's nature resorts which looked amazing (I also found out it’s very famous for rock climbing) and then headed out for the boat and the island. We arrived forty minutes later and I jumped of with high hopes of being able to update my extensive "Man with the golden gun" T-shirt collection. Disappointment, there was no golden guns, no inflatable Roger Moore dolls or even replicas of the movie's funny midget in sight.
Instead I was offered plenty of seashell jewellery and T-shirts saying Thailand on it. What is the world coming to!!!????
Got on the boat again after checking out the rest of the island and were taken to lunch at a village built on stilts in the middle of the sea. Since it was a Muslim community they had even built a mosque in the middle of it. It looked pretty cool.
Had a great sea food lunch and then was taken back to land again. The bus started rolling down the road heading for the monkey temple. I had expected a temple with with a huge massive monkey that the natives worshiped in awe but was incorrect. Instead I found a big cave and huge reclining Buddha. And, the only animals I could see were stackloads of bats inside so the place smelt pretty bad as well.
I was just about to go and speak to one of the officials about false advertising when I noticed the monkeys outside of the temple. It wasn't just one but about sixty of them hanging around the rocks around the entrance. To top it of there suddenly also were loads of women screaming "Ten Bath for food. It's for the monkey!". I’m pretty sure I had not seen either monkeys or women on the way in but now they had both magically materialized. Don't know if they had some kind of 50/50 deal going but it certainly felt that way. Either way I thought the monkeys were pretty cool. Not only were they really friendly (some might say domesticated but I'll stick to friendly) and quite happy to come up and take food straight from the hand. They even went as far as trying to pick the pockets of the unsuspecting tourists which I don't think is more than fair. Why go for the handouts if you can buy your own right!
Went back to the hotel very happy that I got a day in Krabi. I’ve also booked my ticket for Koh Phi Phi. Got my fingers crossed that the weather stays ok. Got a glimpse of the monsoon yesterday and it seems the rain season is about to kick in for real soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home