Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Culture in Hue'



So after the experience in Halong bay I made a swift decision that I had enough of traffic and jumped on the eveniing bus to Hue. The town is sort of situated almost half-way down in Vietnam and tjourney would be twelve hours.
Soon as I stepped on the bus I realised that the seats seemed customized and adapted to asian people ie. very much less leg room than usual. Sat down and was pretty much stuck between my seat and the on ein front of me and I i did some praying to the vietnamese bus god that the person in front of my would not recline too much. It turned out my prayers were answered, well sort of. The seat of the guy sitting in front of me was broken and after several attempts of trying to recline ( and a lot of knee busting for me) he gave up and had to sit upright.
After lots of stops and several attempts to find a comfotable position to sleep in I arrived in Hue.
Was immediately approached by the "hostel rats" trying to get me into their hotel but I had founf one I liked in the guide book called Mimosa and blatantly lied that I was meeting friends there (well not really a lie since I had agreed to meet the canadian couple there the following day).
Got to the hostel which great for $5. Was considering going straight to sleep but was offered a moped tour around Hue and decided to go for it. I was really tired but had the saying "If you snooze, you loose" echoing in my mind so it was just jumping up in the saddle and go with it.
Went around several sights of the town and it was a huge contrast to Hanoi. Hue certainly justified being called the cultural center of Vientam. There were fanstastic temples and palaces that I probably could have spent far more time in but there simply was no time since I only have two weeks in Vietnam. I spent most time in the tomb of Tu Duc. History tells that he had 104 wifes and countless concubines but no children( I guess he just liked practising). The actual ara is huge and it took me three hours trying to discover the whole thing. The funny thing is that Tu Duc actual tomb isn't on the compound at all. Apprantly he was burried in a secret location and all of the two hundred workers who did it were beheaded (and you complain about your job).
I stayed another day checking out the town Citadel and was a bit weird beacue they were arranging a cultural festival that is kicking of in the beginning of june so there were lots of light rigs and fake flowers everywhere amongst the ruins. It was all farly disorganized as well with no leaflets or information of what anythign was but it was cool to walk around it. Since it has a 10km perimiter I didn't do the whole thing but with was satisfied with what I saw.
Went back to the hotel and checked out the local bar scene and got my as whopped at the pool table by the local talent. Had to leave early since I was taking the bus down to Hoi An the following day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home