Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Good evening Hanoi!!



Got on the plane from Vientienne to Hanoi since I decided to treat poor back to something after going trough all them buss rides in Laos. Tom the tuck-tuck driver took me out to the airport and after having some food I boarded and was off to Vietnam. The flight was 45 minutes instead of 24 hours by buss so it was money well spent in my opinion.
After landing I got a bit worried since everybody had Visa's and I didn't since I had read that Scandinavian countries didn't require any and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was true. Sailed trough customs and prepared myself for the onslaught of hawkers that I've read would assault you as soon as you stepped outside. The thing is that they only go for backpackers and since I'm wearing the bloody thing on my back there's little in trying to disguise it. Fortunately I met a couple at the money exchange desk who had already booked their hotel and wanted to share the cab fare in to Hanoi. Said and done, of I went and this is where I started noticing how weird the traffic system is in Vietnam. The horns on the cars and mopeds are constantly being pushed. It's like it was going out of fashion or something and the whole town of Hanoi has got a soundtrack of constant beeps and honking. It seems they use to raise awareness to other each other that they are there. The thing is that I'm sure I've read that ants do the same thing...weird.
Got myself a nice $2.50 hotel (or as nice as a $2.50 comes. I think you understand what I mean) and threw myself into the hustle and bustle. Took a cab out to the Ho Chi Min mausoleum only to find out that it was closed. Apparently Vietnam's favorite Uncle Ho had specified that he should be cremated when he died but the people loved him so much that they kept him in a glass box for display. They even send him off to Russia once a year to fix him up. Walked arround the compund for a while and checked out the museum which I expected to be really boring but turned out to be great with weird designs and layout.
After that I went down to a bar I read about in the travel guide called "Funky Monkey" and it turned out to be just like the run down bars in Shoreditch. So, it was really like a home away from home.Was promised that they would serve food but that turned out to be a lie so I had to wonder down to the big lake in the middle of town and grab some food from one of the evening markets. It was bedtime.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej Tobias,

Feels like I'm travelling with you. Thanks for writing the way you do so we can all smell the reality of the other side of the world too.
I travelled down to High St Ken today with Pete. We saw all sorts of funny people. There were rare pigeons everywhere and the puddles of water were amazing! And then I woke up and realised I was still in London. Ha ha, life can be exotic with a little imagination. Hmmm, I need to get on a plane...
Anyways, keep on discovering and keep your updates coming.
Cheers Tobias,

Chop

3:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home