Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Off to the floating market and leaving Bangkok



So there I was prepared for some evening thai boxing but instead got a call saying there had been a mix-up with my tickets and that they were valid on Sunday instead.
Since I am leaving Bangkok this evening there was no way I could go. Unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes. But, I did get my money back so that was ok.
Instead I opted to jump on a tour up to the floating market. The tour itself wasn't the best, being one of those "ship tourists around, go and see some attractions and then stop at some shopping places where the organizer get comission" but it was alright. Had nothing really planned anyway and met with some nice people on the bus where we all agreed it was really funny being hounded around like cattle in little mini busses being traded of left right and centre depending on what tour we had signed up for.
Eventually got to the floating market which was quite cool. Old ladies navigated the boats with razor sharp precission and took us around corners like their life depended on it. The stall holders themselves had long hooks with which they pulled you in so there was no escaping even if you had no interest in what they sold. Most of the stuff was of course tourist crap (Mr...you buy t-shirt with picture of floating market on) as expected but I got myself a kilo of Looo apples which are great (red in a shape like a pear but tastes of apple but not as sweet). Breakfast sorted!
There were some inccidents of boat rage between different boat paddlers which only enhanced the experience. Don't think I ever has seen anyone swear for thirty seconds without breathing but these ladies did it without blinking.
Once we got off I jumped into one of the speed boats to take a turn down the river but I unfortunately had a huge (I mean massive) guy from Serbia-Montenegro in my boat and our speed was severely reduced. What was supposed to be travelling down the river in James Bond style (can't remember which movie) turned out to be more in James Pond style.
Eventually got back to the hotel and went down to the bar. Played some pool (which Kwong had me in training for in Hong Kong) with some Russians while Chelsea claimed the cup on telly and had a couple of beers. Then it was bedtime.
Leaving for Chiang Mai tonight which is in the north of Thailand to do some trekking for three days. Really looking forward to get into some nature after Bangkok which is drenched in eau' de exhaust fume'.
After Ching Mai I'm taking a slowboat down the river to Luang Prabang in Laos so I'll probably wont update for another week. Stay safe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home