Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Going to Ayutthaya



Stumbled down to the hotel lobby at 6.10 since I'm supposed to be picked up a few minutes later but no one turned up for another thirty minutes. Checked the excursion start time and it say's it's on the 28 of April but my watch says 27'th. Must have done a misstake somehow with the booking so I headed back to my room for some more sleep. As soon as I got there I get a call saying that the pick up is waiting downstairs. Go figure, I turned my watch back when I got there but winded it the wrong way so the time date has not not kicked and thinks it's still 18.30 the previous evening..a lesson for us all.
Got on the bus and headed for Ayutthaya which previously was Thailands old capital. Apparently it was seized by Burma for many years until it got liberated again but by then the King of Thailand had already moved the capital to Bangkok. The town is an island surrounded by rivers and is very different from Bangkok with it's nature and rivers around it around it. These days it seems more of a sleepy town more catering for tourism.
We went around to quite a few temples in different styles. I can only imagine how great they must have looked before they were destroyed.
After feeling "templed out" we headed to a cruising boat where lunch was served onboard. It was just about the right time beacuse I was fading quickly. Haven't really felt hungry since I usually get full on all the water I drink to stay in shape in this warmth (33 degree's) but it was a great sensation to get stuffed again. The boat headed down towards the river towards Bangkok while we sat on deck watching the traditional Thai style houses pass us by. We were supposed to go trough the city by boat but the King of Thailand had other plans and had decided to throw a procession on the river that day. No big loss since I already saw that on my first day.
It was time for a couple beer and some sleep. Got tickets to a thai boxing match tomorrow which I'm very much looking forward to.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope 'ole ninenuckles isnt tempted to throw a punch at the boxing! L

5:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home