Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Waterfalls and kayak down the mekong



While in Luang Prabang I took one day to check out the waterfalls. I had met up with some people from the boat earlier in the days and we agreed to go together so we could get a cheap deal on a Tuck-Tuck. Said and done, at one in the afternoon we met up and managed to negotiate a decent price and then set of with some beers in hand. Forty minutes later trough bumpy roads and across three rickety bridges we came up to the waterfall and it was bliss.

It literally took two seconds before I was in the water swimming around like there was no tomorrow. After cooling down we diced to climb to the top and even though we had to stop three times (maybe to have a beer or two) we eventually got to the very top only to find a single hammock hanging between two trees. Some one knew how to have a good time for sure.

Went back to Luang Brabang, had some food and then checked out the local nightlife at a bar called the Hive and the clientele pretty much consisted of everyone on the boat. We later found out that it was the only place that was open until twelve and we didn’t notice until the lights came on. Walked home briskly and noticed the hotel gates were closed. Five minutes a very surly portiere rumbled out and let me in while I tried to explain how sorry I was and that I forgot how late it got. Shamefully I walked to my room but slept like a baby.
I had booked myself in for a kayak trip the next mornign down the Mekong river and was a bit sluggish when I got up but ok. Got picked up and headed down the river where the Kayak waited.

Now I don’t really know what possessed me to go for a six hour kayak ride since I haven’t been in once since the scouts when I was about eight years old but done is done so I went with it.

The scenery itself was great but the best thing was the guide I had in the back of the kayak. First off he started off asking if it was ok if he sang some songs since he wanted to be in a band. Seven songs later to which I was giggling the whole time (I get like that sometimes when I’m hangover) he said “Sorry sir, can I ask you a questions?” to which I said “Yes Of course”. He then said “Have you ever have your heart broken?” and I replied “sure, a couple of times. It’s life”. This was the start to how he came to explain his three broken hearts. He had met one girl whom he loved but she went off with another guy because he only had a bicycle and the rival had a moped. The second time he had a moped and the other guy had a 125cc. The third time he had a 125cc but the he had a 250cc.

So the lesson for all you guys out there. When you travel to Laos it doesn’t matter if you have Mike Jagger’s fame. Get a Honda 500cc and you got it made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home