Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Luang Prabang and the surreal encounter



Eventually got to Luang Brabang after being put in an even smaller boat than before. I guess that it was due to the fact that the river is shallower but it was a relief to get of it I’ll tell you. Several hours on that boat sitting on a wooden bench turned my bony little ass to pure pain. Worth the ride though.

I met a really nice guy in Chiang Mai who recommended a hotel so instead of waiting around being shown places I went straight there (after asking some Russian tourists for direction…now that is stupid). Eventually found the hotel and it was fantastic. Really good rooms that looked great and it had good aircon and big bathroom.

Grabbed a quick shower and then walked down to the night market which is full of textiles and handcrafts. This is where my surreal experience happened. The first person I see is Mick Jagger and entourage. I considered taking a picture but the look I got from the bodyguard said “no, no” so I just smugly walked along for a while.

The next day I walked around town. Luang Prabang is a lovely little town which I recommend anyone to go to. The tourism hasn’t kicked in yet as it has in Thailand and you don’t get the hassle from touts but you can still have a great time there. There a lot of things to see and the nightlife is not bad either (although there is a twelve o’clock curfew for foreigners). Even though there are a lot of places that serve western food there are lots of traditional Laos food places and I tried quite a few, the Lao beef curry won!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home