Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Uphill and the flying squirrel soup



Got up early for some breakfast and then jumped on the van that picked us up for the hiking up to one of the hill tribes in the north of Thailand. There were nine other people on there already, two Canadian girls, three Japanese ladies, two Korean guys and an Australian couple so I knew I was in good company.
After two hours of driving up the mountains and stopped for some elephant riding. We all got seated in pairs and I had the pleasure of having a little Japanese girl sitting next to me who kept on saying “ Oh, my God” and a lot of Japanes I didn’t understand every ten seconds.
After the ride we got our rucksasck on and started walking uphill. It immediately became clear to me that those hours that I didn’t spend in the gym before leaving paid off. I was completely exhausted after half an hour and drank so much water I could have been a fish.
We eventually came up to the village and most of us pretty much fell to the floor instantly gasping for air and food. Luckily we were served a beautiful green curry with rice as the sun sets and the big cooling box filled with beers were opened. Sat and chatted with our guides for a while in what at best could have been described as a mixture of sign language and guttural English sounds….great!
The kids in the village came down and sang a couple of songs for us jjust as it started raining but they didn’t seem to care at all.
Went to bed and tried to get some sleep but soon noticed that the roosters in the north were on a different time that me. 4.15 they started their cackling and that was the signal for every other creature, insect and bird to start theirs as well. Had to leave "walk over" to getting some sleep forty minutes later and got up to take pictures in the morning which I did.
Two hours later the rest of the group woke up and a gargantuan amount of coffe was consumed. Speaking to people I realised that that prety much none of us had got any sleep. It also turned out that most people of the group had signed uf for a two day trek instead of three and it was only me and the australian couple who were coming along for the extra day. I didn't mind but the thought of walking again somehow didn't have the glorious appeal as it did the day before. But as they say "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs".
Said goodbye to the other people in the group, set off walking and got into it quite quickly. Just before lunch the sky opened up and rain flooded down but within minutes our guides had a great shelter built for us made by huge banana leaves....fantastic!
We had some food that was served up on freshly made bamboo plates that came with matching cups and then hit the road again. While walking one of the guides suddenly banged on a big tree trunk and a flying squirrel flew from the top and landed on the next tree. One of the guides immediately pulled out a sling shot and an accurate stone later the squirrell laid dead on the ground. I asked him if he kept it for for the fur and he replied "meat for tonight".
Walked for another two hours and then got to our evening basecamp which was bliss. There was a little waterfall and a natural pool which I jumped straight into and then changed my clothes and put myself in the hammock and relaxed.
Almost fell asleep but were woken up by pots slamming. Walked over to the tree hut and saw the little squirrel already being rosted on a little stick over the fire. We were indeed eating the little creature.
Had a beer while watching our guides cook up vegetables and was suddenly supplied with a bowl of flying squirrel soup. Took a tentative sip on the broth which tasted lovley. Picked up some some tiny little pieces of meat and started chewing. It tasted like....duck!
Walked for another day the following morning and were then driven back to my hotel. Took it easy for a couple of hours and went down town to the night bazar in Chiang Mai wich was amazing. So many stalls and great things to buy everywhere. Shame I couldn't bring it with me though since my rucksack is pretty full already.
Met up with the austrailan couple I walked with for an evening drink and then headed home to pack. Taking the two day slowboat tomorrow down to Laos and Luang Prabang.
Will post again when I get a chance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tobias!

Il tuo blog mi fa morire dal ridere (e' un complimento!).

I am still mourning for the souped-up Flying Squirrel. Hopefully tesco wil not add this recipe to their range of microwaveable meals.

Take care and have a great time!
Saluti!
Lisa

1:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mum said...
Please save your TigerT-shirt! I know that cat, he really liked you (and who wouldn't). I don't like you eating Squirrels, I would prefer fat, white carterpillers and scorpions, but the choise is yours. Love your writingstile and your sense of humor. Keep smiling thinking about you and your wonderful trip. I'm always a little bit worried, but that is just beacause of love. Greetings from Lars as well!

2:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home