Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Drinking the snake's blood!



After checking out the Ho Chi Min museum compound I was like all other tourists approached by a motorbike driver who asked if I wanted a lift into the old town. After bargaining for a while I got it to half the price I had paid to get a taxi there but since I was putting my life on the line in Hanoi traffic I didn't think it was less than fair.
During the ride I asked him if he knew of any restaurants where they served snake (since I had heard about this one). He suddenly stopped the bike by the curb, turned around and looked at me. "You want to go snake restaurant?". "Sure I said without thinking about it and a arrangement was two minutes later made where he would pick me up a couple of hours later and I would be taken to the best restaurant in town.
So, said and done. At 18.00 in the evening I found myself on the back of the motorcycle again dodging around traffic. We drove off the center of Hanoi, over a bridge where we stopped "You take picture, very beautiful" and I had to agree that it was despite the fact that I felt a bit unsure of what I got myself into. Continued along small winding roads (I'm sure these roads aren't in any guide books but I can't confirm it) and finally stopped.
The sight in front of me was unbelievable. He had not taken me to a restaurant that served snake, the restaurant only served snake! Everywhere in the restaurant were hundreds of jars with pickled snakes and I got a slight feeling I was in over my head.
I was taken to a glass box filled with live snakes and they took one out and showed it to me asking if it was ok. It looked alive and healthy, tried to bite the owner twice so I said yes.
Was taken up some stairs up to a table where I was sat down and two men came up to my table with the wriggling snake, two small shot glasses and a metal bowl. Seconds later the heart had been cut out, still pounding in the mans hand it was pierced with the blood flowing into one of the shot glasses and then the remains of the heart went into it as well.
Then came the moment where I suddenly sat there with a shot glass of snake heart and blood in my hand while people were standing around watching me in anticipation. I was told that gall would me very healthy and the heart would make me incredibly strong. There was not much to do, raised the glass in a toast and down it went. Texture was like thin honey and had a taste of salvia and I didn't chew.
There was another shot glass left and the gall bladder of the snake was also cut out, pierced and put into the shot glass. This one was clear green and it tasted horrible but I tried to keep a straight face and asked if I could get a beer since I felt a bit hot.
The remains of the snake were then brought to me in loads of different kinds and forms. I had crispy snakeskin, grilled snake meat, powdered snake liver rice and so on. Since I pretty much had snake all to myself (I offered some to my bike rider as well) I was absolutely stuffed afterwards.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mums. Snokmiddag låter som en höjdare. Jag hoppas att du fick recepten.

12:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home