Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fish and coral's in Koh Tao



Had booked myself an express ferry ticket to Koh Tao and I was collected from the bungalow had considered my home for the last five days. It was a difficult goodbye. It had treated me so well in comparison to the other places I have stayed in so far.
Jumped up on the back of the pickup truck with my rucksack (no, health and safety is still not a priority in Thailand) and was taken down to the ferry.
Problems! What was supposed to be an express catamaran had somehow magically transformed itself into a rusty old ferry (in typical Thai fashion) but since it was the only option to get to Koh Tao in time I jumped on.
Seven hours later instead of three I put my first tentative steps on Koh Tao and instantly got a good vibe. The island itself is quite small and is most famous for being a place for it’s diving and marine life. I had considered getting a diving license since it is pretty cheap (and also to be able to justify the purchase of an oversized diving watch....just kiddin') but decided to check it out first.
Checked into a nice little 5 dollar bungalow which resembled card board box in comparison to what I had in Koh Samui but I couldn't complain. It was clean and without any extensive insect fauna (I've started to recognise the usual suspects by now) so I was pretty happy with it.
Took it easy the rest of the evening apart from finding myself a trip to go out snorkelling the following day.
Woke up early the following day, had a quick breakfast and was then picked up to go and select a mask and fins before heading to the boat. All went well I was heading out to sea in a big boat with a really nice staff onboard for a change (see the Halong bay entry).
The boat took us pretty much all around the island, stopping at different places and all I can say about the snorkelling was that it was pretty f*****n amazing (sorry mum). The closest thing I can describe it to was that it felt like swimming around in a big aquarium. There was so much fish and coral everywhere that it was surreal. I enjoyed myself so immensely that I decided to at book myself on another trip before leaving to not miss out.
Got back and had some food in the place I was staying in talked to some people while sipping on a juice. They were all divers but told me it was unnecessary to get a diving license since the stuff I’ve saw snorkelling was the same as further out but with less vision. Also when I explained my future aspiratations of mud diving in the rivers of England they explained that I needed to get another license for cold water diving when I got back. With that info in mind I decided to skip the diving course. I doubt I ever would have used it anyway.
I spent the following days slouching around. Hired a moped and drove around the island and sat down and read some of the books I had brought whenever I found a nice spot.
Got onto another snorkelling trip and it was as good as the first one apart from the fact that I forgot to apply the factor 400 sunblock so I burnt my back while swimming in water.
The last evening was a marathon. I had booked my trip for Krabi (Thailand westcoast) for an eight o'clock departure in the morning and Sweden played the late game which meant it started at 2 in the morning. Managed to keep myself awake with the help of a bucket of vodka/redbull and insanity of the Swedish supporters in the bar (who ever thinks shouting at the television is a really works raise a hand) and stumbled home victorious after the game at 4.30 in the morning. I had two and a half hours sleep to look forward to. Great!!!
The only thing that bothered me about Koh Tao was all the people talking about how great and isolated it was the first time they were there fifteen years ago.
Now, the thing is that if all those people hadn't gone back and told all their friends about the island the place wouldn't be what it is today so they only have themselves to blame. And, if they really like isolation so much they should head for Yemen and spend four years in the desert instead of sitting in a restaurant full of people sippin' beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home