Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Sunday, June 11, 2006

The storm over Sihanoukville


My plan of going south of Cambodia and Sihanoukville was to stay a couple of days down the Cambodian coast and then take the boat over to Thailand. I've heard that Sihanoukville was supposed to be quite a busy place during the high season but since it was low season now I had few fears about the place. Turns out I was wrong but not in the way I envisaged.
Finally got to Sihanoukville after a six hour bus ride. Got myself checked in to a 4 dollar a night hotel and then went out to check the place out. Turns out that low season really meant low season. There were almost no people about and the town itself resembled a ghost town apart from the lack of tumbleweed rolling past.
Went back to my hotel to have some food in hope that the town would change in the evening time and I was right but not in the way I hoped. By dusk the whole town was lit up in tacky neon and girls of dubious profession promising me "very nice and special massage".
I had initially decided to stay for two nights but after waking up I made my mind up and decided to go for the ferry to Koh Kong at noon.
Said and done, packed my stuff and got taken to the ferry just as big dark clouds gathered above my head. Stepped on the ferry which really wasn't intended for the sea at all but was a small river boat. The smell inside was really weird but I couldn't define it and instead sat down and looked at the inside of the tattered old boat. There were big bins by the end of every seat which was very weird since Cambodia isn't too big on either recycling or keeping things clean.
As soon as I got out to sea it all became clear to me. The storm was raging outside and the boat was airborne for far longer than felt comfortable. Suddenly the bin by the end of the seat and the smell became clear to me. It was the smell of sick and the bins were for people who needed to throw up. Indeed, twenty minutes later pretty much everyone around me had their head in the buckets and the boat was be rocked from left to right like it was stuck in some crazy amusement park. Thankfully all those years of me training to be a pirate paid of and I remained steadfast. I noticed that the best trick was to close my eyes and then just roll with it while trying to filter out the noises of Japanese tourists puking their guts out around me.
Two hours later we got to shore and the amount of green faces stepping of the boat was a sight to behold. I jumped into a cab with a couple of Canadians from Toronto and headed to the Thai boarder. Managed to get trough ok on time and managed to catch the bus back to Bangkok (I had initially intended to take the ferry to Koh Chang but I had enough of boats in one day). Checked into a small little room on Ko Sahn Road at one am. in the morning and slept like a baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home