Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Orangutan's and burnin' busses!



After my excursion to Turtle Island I decided to play it a bit safer and instead headed over to Sepilon and the orangutan rehabilitation centre.
I can’t remember how long it has been running but the purpose of the centre is to take care of orphaned or wounded orangutan’s and then put them back into the wild once they are strong enough to survive by themselves.
There are two feeding times at the centre and I was told that some of the orangutan’s that has been released sometimes comes back to feed if there isn’t enough food around (or maybe they are just plain lazy and want some fast food).
I had met a Swedish couple on Turtle Island who were quite disappointed when they had been there since there only had been one orangutan and lots of monkeys around so it was with certain anticipation that I started walking trough the jungle up to the feeding place.
Pretty much as soon as I got around the corner I knew I was in luck. There were about twelve orangutan’s chilling’ out around the site and there must have been another twenty to twenty five monkeys.
There were already quite a lot of people who had got the before me and they were taking pictures like it was going out of fashion. Apparently orangutan shares something like 98.5% of the same genes as humans and they were just awesome. I always thought monkeys are pretty funny but there is something special about orangutans. They are so chilled out and seemed just to everything in their stride. I don’t know if they top the list of intelligent creatures but the way they behave I’m pretty sure they are up there at the top somewhere.
Tried to take a couple of pictures once the feeding was going on. It was funny to see that the other monkeys waited around until the orangutans had been feed and then jumped for some of the scraps.
Headed back once all the monkeys had disappeared back into the jungle and shared a taxi with a finish couple into Sandakan where I was taking the bus back.
All went pretty well until two kilometers outside of Kota Kinanbalo where the air conditioning system started burning and black smoke came pouring out of the ceiling.
The buss stopped and people ran out coughing and throwing up around me. Luckily I had been sitting in the front so I was pretty much ok apart from some stinging lungs.
The driver walked in with a wet scarf around his head, opened all the windows and the bus started rolling after another five minutes again.
That’s Malaysian efficiency for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home