Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Short stop in Singapore

It was time to finally leave Malaysia.
I had spent a longer time there than expected due the fact that the rain season had hit Thailand sooner than I expected but I was quite happy i did. There was so much to do in Malaysian Borneo and so many things to see. I could easily spent another two weeks there and still be able to come back. Sure it doesn't have the parties or beaches of Thailand but overall I felt it was well worth going to if you are into nature, culture and animals.
Took a flight out to Johur Bahru and just managed to get on a bus from the airport that would drive all the way into Singapore.
Everyone on the buss were dropped at some hotel but after speaking to a German family we decided to share a taxi into central Singapore and after a twenty minute ride I was dropped off in Little india. It took me a while to get my bearings but after walking arond for a while I managed to find the hostel I was after. As expected it was far pricier than anything I'd paid for a hotel during the previous two and a half months but it also looked a lot cleaner and modern so I guess it was justifiable.
Since I only had two days in Singapore I decicied to hit town straight away and walked down to the subway and got myself a ticket into the centre and got out of the tube and staright into the center.
It was definatly a bit of a culture shock. Suddenly I was surrounded by all these high street shops and there were no corrupt policemen or crazy driving going on anymore. Took a stroll up and down the streets and then checked out the shopping mauls. The best thing was the big food courts that pertty much resided in each one of them. The variety was endless, everything from Japanese to traditional Malaysian food was served and the best thing was that it was very cheap. Went to Borders and founf myself a good book on photography and then headed back to the hostel in the evening for some drinks with some scottish people I met. Went for a quiqk sleep before hand and was woken up a lady who was suppsoed to have the bed underneath me. She kept mumbling "It's too dark in here. Scary...scary" and acted very strange. I sat up and sarcastically said "Good morning" since she had caused such a lot of noice and she just starred at me for a minute with these crazy eyes and then grabbed her suitcase and walked off. Guess it takes all sorts.
The following day I headed down to the botanical gardens and checked out the orchids. It was quite impressive to say the least and even though I've never had a hughe interest in flowers it certainly made me change my opinion. Spent a couple of hours checking out the rest of the park and then walked over to Chinatown. That part of town was not at all what I expected (or maybe wasn't in the right part). Instead of lots of chinese restaurants I found lots of trendy bars and me and the guys I was with sat down and watched the world go by while sippin' on a nice singapore sling (when in Rome right!).
Headed beack to the hostel, had some nice barbeque and and chatted to a weird Irish guy who had decided to do the whole of south east asia in five weeks. I explained that he would be pushing it a bit on time but his reply was that he had just got the all clear from his doctor after having mental problems and had to go. Don't know if there's a special "loonie" trip going to Singapore but my guess is that there is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home