Tobias travels to South-East Asia and beyond!

Because the ticking you hear is your life passing you by!

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

In my thirty's and slowly loosing my misanthropic streak!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Freezing in Melbourne

Got my evening flight to Melbourne and landed 6 am in the morning. Had been told that immigration might take a while and that was indeed true since I ran into trouble straight away. First of the guy who took my passport said I didn't look anything like the picture (trying to explain that I lost my glasses and lost a couple of kilos didn't help), secondly my passport so new that they couldn't scan it properly (well get some new technology then you plonkers). Thirdly I hadn't specified an adress where I was staying since I intended to stay at Kimberly's (nice girl who worked for Penguin in London but afterwards gone back) so I suppse I have to give them that. Had to wait for an hour before they had checked everything and just as I was walking out they grabbed me again and said they wanted to see proof of my departure ticket. I'm sure there must be a picture that looks just like me somewhere in the immigration office that says "If he looks like this give him hard time" or something but in the end I got through.
Considered taking a taxi in to town but saw this guy who was picking backpackers up for a hostel. I asked how much is was, made the calculations that if I went for it I'll be paying less than the taxi fare so I jumped into the minibus and headed for the centre.
Did I forget to mention how freezing cold it was in Melbourne, of course I did. A clear case of denial. Getting out in shorts trough the entrance was like being frozen down into a cryonic tube. Don't know what I was expecting but I realised that I got far to accustomed to the heat during the last months and was shivering like a leaf.
Got to the hostel and into my room and was greated by a bunch of snotty eighteen year old english people on a gap year who were discussing how drunk they had been the past night. I was quite close to intervene and reply that in comparison to what I just experinced in Bali they had not even been close to tipsy but I kept my gob shut.
It felt a bit weird being in a dorm again after having had the luxioury of having my own room for two weeks in Bali but there wasn't much to do about it. I knew Australia would be the most expensive country on my trip so it was pretty much a case of grittin' teeth and bearing it.
Slept for a couple of hours and was then picked up by Kimberly just after lunch (I had sent an s.o.s email that morning) and was taken out to her parents lovley house where I pretty much instantly fell asleep again.
Woke up the following lunctime as it was time to head out to Yarra valley for some winetasting. Ended up in a lovley little winery whit a nice little restaurant where I got the pleasure of enjoying a great kangaroo steak. It tasted fantastic and the wine they served with it was even better. A great way to ease into the Australian culture.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej min son!
Var är Du? Hur mår Du, vad är klockan, har Du några pengar, var är glasögonen, ser Du något, är skorna slitna, har Du fått ett större perspektiv, på vad?
Vi saknar Dig, saknar Du Orust?
Undrande Mamma och Pappa:

12:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home